Toll Free (800) 920-7457

The opposite end of the Court of Fountains held the Fountain of Abundance. This was sculpted by Philip Martiny. The depiction of the Goddess of Abundance stood atop a pedestal supported by ornate dancing children. Beneath this, Cupid rains flowers down onto playful boys and girls riding snails and swans. This elaborate fountain was a reflection of the central theme of the fair. It highlighted the use of electrical power by using rows of lamps set around the base, creating dramatic and powerful lighting for the water display. The theme of the well rehearsed fountain was continued through the Louisiana Purchase Centennial international exposition in St. Louis in 1904, as well as the Panama Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco in 1915. All of these expositions added to the growing fascination with public water features. The City Beautiful Movement was inspired, partly, because of the success of these fountains at these expositions.