Having a garden at home is fun and very beneficial. It's especially enjoyable tending to thriving plants during the fall and winter when you may be home more. But if you live in a home with little or no yard space, such as an apartment, you may wonder how you can enjoy a garden without a backyard. The good news is that there are many ways to enjoy growing your fresh vegetables when you don't have much space. Container gardening is a great way to do this. You can enjoy the quality of a garden without needing a yard.
However, you can't just grow any vegetable in small containers. Some types need to be produced in a bigger space. To help you out, here are a few benefits of container gardening and some fall vegetables you can grow in small areas.
What Are the Benefits of Container Gardening?
You can enjoy gardening no matter where you live. There are plenty of great ways to utilize small spaces and still achieve gardening success. Container gardening is an excellent way to garden at home, even if you don't have room for one.
Keeping your plants and flowers in containers not only helps save space but can also help to control and prevent pests that may be in a large outside garden. Small bugs, mites, and even grubs can invade your garden. But if you use pots and enjoy a smaller garden, there is a lower chance of dealing with unwanted pests.
Container gardening is also great for keeping the soil healthy. In a large outdoor garden, many times, mold and other potentially harmful fungi may kill your plants. With smaller pots, draining is easier, and healthier plants are easier to achieve. There are many high-quality large garden planters for sale that you can use on your porch or patio and be able to keep your home looking aesthetically pleasing and grow healthy vegetables even in the early fall or winter.
What Type of Fall Vegetables Are Best?
If you want to start container gardening, you should consider that many types of plants may not prosper in small growing places. Here are some plants that can thrive very well in a small space and that you will probably get the best harvests from.
- Collard Greens – Collard greens are an essential vegetable to have in your fall garden. They can be planted in small containers and grow rapidly, between 55-70 days. They are very healthy and have great amounts of Vitamin C and collagen, which is essential for a healthy body. What’s even better is that they taste amazing after having been grown during the fall season.
- Beans – Beans are a wonderful vegetable to grow in a small space. You can just put some stick or small lattice behind the pot so that they can grow upwards. They are ready to harvest as soon as 65 days after planting.
- Beets – Beetscan be planted in a small, rectangular pot. Rich in nutrients, they can be harvested at full maturity around 50-70 days after planting. They often take a while to germinate, so soaking the seeds before planting is a good choice.
- Peas – There are many types of peas, and all of them are great for container gardening. They only take 60-70 days to mature fully, which is great for quick harvesting. They grow well in direct sunlight, and just like beans, you can use a small piece of lattice to help guide them to grow upwards.
- Lettuce – Perhaps the most common type of plant to grow in a garden is lettuce. It takes a short time to grow, around 35 days for most types and 70 days for some. Lettuce is cold-tolerant, making it a great option for small vegetable gardens in the fall. Growing it in pots enables it to be moved around so that the lettuce can grow in the best settings.
- Bok Choy – Bok choy is great for a quick harvest since it only takes 35-60 days to grow to full maturity after germination. It’s important to note that they will resprout if the roots are left in the soil, so if you are replanting, you should make sure all of the roots have been removed to ensure a good harvest.
- Carrots – Carrots are a great vegetable to grow in large containers. They take around 50-70 days to develop fully. Carrots grow best in moist places, so ensure that the soil is not compact and stays watered often.
Get the Best Garden Decor!
No matter the size of space you have, you can still create a beautiful garden to enjoy and benefit from. A great way to achieve this is to buy outdoor garden decor. At Garden Fountains & Outdoor Decor, we are happy to help you choose the best decor option for your home and garden. Contact us today and let us know how we can help you create the perfect garden just for you.